THE LA MORE FAMILIES
The records below chart my direct La More ancestors, with connections in red, back to the end of the eighteenth century, when they apparently lived in Chittenden County, Vermont. Of all of my family, these are the members I know the least about, so I would appreciate any information you can share with me.
Possible other spellings of "La More" include "Lamour," "Lamar," "LaMare," "Lamor" and the French "Lamoureaux." It is possible that my La More ancestors were French-Canadian; there are many La Mores still living and buried in cemeteries throughout Ontario and Quebec. Chittenden County, Vermont, is near the Quebec border.
Sources are noted in parentheses.
1. Father of Peter LA MORE or /LA MARE/. Father of Peter LA MORE or /LA MARE/ married Mother of Peter LA MORE or /LA MARE. They had the following children:
+ 2 i Peter LA MORE or /LA MARE/.
2. Peter LA MORE or /LA MARE/, born c. 1802; died unknown. Peter LA MORE or /LA MARE/ married Catherine (the daughter of Father of Catherine and Mother of Catherine) born c. 1793; died unknown. Apparently these people are listed in the 1790 U.S. Census (Chittenden County, VT) but I have been unable to find the record. They had the following children:
+ 3 i Robert Peter LA MORE.
4 ii Philoma LA MORE.
+ 5 iii Edward LA MORE.
6 iv Mary LA MORE, born 1829 at Chittenden Co, VT (1850 Census - listed as child of Peter La Mare).
7 v Augustus LA MORE, born 1836 at Chittenden Co, VT (1850 Census - child of Peter La Mare). 8 vi Louisa LA MORE, born 1840 at Chittenden Co, VT (1850 Census - lists as child of Peter La Mare).
9 vii Frank LA MORE, born 1843 at Chittenden Co, VT (1850 Census lists as child of Peter La Mare).
10 viii Sophia LA MORE, born 1845 at Chittenden Co, VT (1850 Census lists as child of Peter La Mare).
11 ix Nancy and Lucy, twins LA MORE.
3. Robert Peter LA MORE (farmer/carpenter), born 18 Jun 1834 at Chittenden Co, VT; died 31 Jul 1893; buried Aurora, IL at Spring Lake Cemetery. Emigrated from Chittenden County, Vermont to Hampton Township, Illinois, in the autumn of 1857, probably following the route of the Erie Canal. He decided to spend the winter months working as a carpenter on the farm of Edward Frederick ARCULARIUS and wound up marrying that gentleman's daughter Lucy the following summer.
Robert Peter LA MORE enlisted in the Union Army in 1861 in the 45th Illinois Infantry Regiment as Robert Peter La More. Corinne Miller Croushorn says: "This gave Lucy A. fits when she came to apply for a widow's pension in 1893. It took Lucy about four years to convince the government that she was Peter's as well as Robert Peter's widow and thus eligible to receive a pension." (Powers papers).
Robert Peter LA MORE married Lucy Ann ARCULARIUS (the daughter of Edward Frederick ARCULARIUS and Margaret MC MURPHY) 8 June 1858 at Hampton, Rock Island Co (married in Rock Is Co by a Rev. Flowers); born 3 Feb 1840 at Moline, Rock Is Co, IL; died 21 May 1913; buried Aurora, IL at Spring Lake Cemetery. They had the following children:
+ 12 i Edward Frederick LA MORE.
+ 13 ii Lucy Jane LA MORE.
+ 14 iii Emma Lillian LA MORE.
+ 15 iv Maria Louise LA MORE.
16 v Robert Henry LA MORE, born 8 Mar 1866; died 9 Dec 1875.
+ 17 vi Mary Luetta LA MORE.
18 vii Alice Lunette LA MORE, born 23 Mar 1871; died 4 Jan 1872.
+ 19 viii Harriet LA MORE.
+ 20 ix Ethel Almira LA MORE.
12. Edward Frederick LA MORE (farmer), born 4 Aug 1865 at Moline, Rock Is Co, IL; died 4 Apr 1932 at Reedley, Kings Co, CA; buried Reedley Cemetery.Died of apoplexy (stroke). Edward Frederick LA MORE married Nellie Bly KOLB (the
daughter of Jasper T. KOLB and Maria KNIGHT) 6 Jan 1912 at Hanford, CA (Kolb family bible); born 16 Aug 1874 at Lafayette, IN ; died 4 Aug 1946; buried Reedley, CA Cemetery. They had the following children:
+ 21 i Helen Grace LA MORE.
+ 22 ii Hazel June LA MORE.
13. Lucy Jane LA MORE, born 12 Jul 1859 (L family bible); died 27 Jan 1945 (L family bible). Lucy Jane LA MORE married William S. MILLER 8 Jun 1858. They had the following children:
23 i Corinne MILLER.
+ 24 ii Llewellyn MILLER.
14. Emma Lillian LA MORE, born 29 Jan 1861 (also listed as Lillian Emma); died 31 Dec 1894. Emma Lillian LA MORE married John VINCENT 25 Dec 1882 (handwritten document re marriages of RPL children); born 2 Apr 1840; died c.1927.
They had the following children:
25 i Charles VINCENT.
+ 26 ii Bessie Louise VINCENT.
+ 27 iii Emma VINCENT.
28 iv Pauline VINCENT, died c. 1972.
15. Maria Louise LA MORE, born 14 May 1862 (also listed as Louise Maria La More); died c. 1950. Maria Louise LA MORE married Robert S. MC CONNELL 18 Aug 1886. They had the following children:
29 i Cyril MC CONNELL.
+ 30 ii Elsie MC CONNELL.
+ 31 iii Earl MC CONNELL.
17. Mary Luetta LA MORE, born 29 Sep 1869; died 12 Mar 1929. Mary Luetta LA MORE married William S. BAKER 10 Aug 1888. They had the following children:
+ 32 i Rose BAKER.
+ 33 ii Glen H. BAKER.
19. Harriet LA MORE, born 7 Apr 1873 at Iowa Falls, IA; died 19 Dec 1964 at Whittier, CA. Harriet LA MORE married Edwin E. TALLEY 7 Oct 1897; born
Jul 1860 at Ohio; died Mar 1932; buried Cedar Rapids, IA. They had the following children:
+ 34 i Naomi TALLEY.
+ 35 ii Lillian Corinne TALLEY.
+ 36 iii Robert Edwin TALLEY.
+ 37 iv Wilbur Allen TALLEY.
+ 38 v Lucy Alice TALLEY.
+ 39 vi John La More TALLEY.
20. Ethel Almira LA MORE, born 29 Aug 1877; died 19 Jan 1965. Ethel Almira LA MORE married Walter P. HUBBELL 12 Sep 1908; died c. 1935.
I have omitted information that might compromise the privacy of living family members. If you have questions, corrections, or suggestions, please e-mail me.
return to jadwin.net
©Lisa Jadwin, 1997-2004. All rights reserved.
Last updated.November 3, 2004.